Monday, September 21, 2009

RIP ROC RAIDA

The dude who inspired me to buy turntables after seeing his classic "Rock The Bells" routine in Zoo York's "Mixtape" video circa 1997. I probably watched that video every day for a year, VCR remote in hand so I could rewind and study his section. Unfortunately, all that wiki-wiki, juggling, crab scratch business is very hard so it wasn't long after purchasing a single crap Gemini turntable from a straight-edge kid named Matt that I was forced to let go of my dream of becoming the fifth member of the X-Excutioners. But, I enjoyed making mixes and stuff so I kept buying vinyl, bought another turntable a year or so later (this time a REAL Technics 1200!!!) and somehow, some 11+ years later and still unable to scratch to save myself, here I am; a Professional DJ. Who would have thunk it? So, thanks Roc Raida. I mean it. Real talk.

And, for good measure, Robbie Gangemi's section from the same video, featuring a very young Busta Rhymes on The Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito Show.

Okay, hopefully this will be the last "RIP" post for a while...Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment